Sunday, July 26, 2009

D Day!!

Wow, I can't believe it! In less than 48 hours, I actually will be starting the bar exam! WTF was I thinking....LOL

The insanity will go as follows: Monday - drive to Saratoga Springs, NY for the NY and MBE* portions; Tuesday - NY Specific portion (essays and a few multiple choice); Wednesday - the joy of the MBE* on Wednesday (2 3hour sessions of 100 multiple choice, fill in the dot questions each), ; Wednesday night drive back to NJ and stay at friends house closer to Thursday location; Thursday - NJ Specific part (essays); Thursday night through Sunday: Drink, sleep, celebrate, recuperate, wonder why on earth I decided to do this law thing, and start to wonder what I'm going to do with all this free time I will have!!

I really can't get over the fact that I'm at this point. I remember back when I first started thinking about the possibility of going to law school. It seemed liked such a far off fantasy that I would never get to. Now look at me, graduated law school and sitting for the bar exam....rather surreal!!

What I'm struggling with now is whether or not I am ready for the test. Honestly I don't really know. As a student, I tend to do pretty well with very little work or study. However, the bar exam is not like anything I've ever taken before. We are responsible for knowing essentially NY law (21 subjects), NJ law (1 subject in addition to the subjects on the MBE) and the MBE law (6-8 subjects depending how who group them). It's nuts! All the sections primarily focus on the exceptions to the general rules. Who ever came up with the idea of the bar exam really must have enjoyed inflicting pain on others...lol I have actually studied for this exam, which is pretty shocking if you know me. I've probably put in more hours studying for this exam than the combined total number of hours I've spent studying for all other tests in my life. (I'm pretty lucky that I test well and if I understand something I tend to retain it). However, compared to the majority of people I know taking the exam, I've maybe only done about 1/5 of what they have done on average. Hopefully it will be enough and yes there will be a fair amount of last minute review/cramming in the next day or so. As well as a fair amount of procrastination and avoidance (re this post...lol). :)

I know I am totally capable of passing both bar exams and that I should! I really do want to pass both! However, there's this part of me that says I may not. Is it fear? Common sense? My subconscious' way of telling me I'm not ready? A defense mechanism to protect me in the event I don't pass? ???? I have no idea whatsoever. I guess as long as I don't let that doubt take over I think I should be ok.

Well that's enough for now. Oh I forgot to mention the absolute best part of this whole thing....we don't find out if we passed until approximately mid November! Yeah, that right frickin' NOVEMBER!!!! WTF



*Multi-State Bar Exam - Both NY & NJ use it as part of their bar exam score

2 comments:

  1. You don't find out until NOVEMBER?! Oy, Buf. First congratulations on graduating from law school. As someone looking in from the outside that sure went fast.

    Second, good luck on the testing. I know you're going to do it and you will sweep the leg, woman!

    Now I guess I'm going to have to start taking those art lessons so we can have our Doodle Off, eh?

    Good luck and go get 'em!

    p.s. I'm FIRST!! Take that Natural!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow buf, what an accomplishment. you should be so proud. i know you will do well. you will pass. november is a long time to wait for your results. i would drink to forget about it. :)

    yeah okay cg, you caught me sleeping. i admit i was surprised and when i saw this post i said "newman" in my head but i used your name because i knew you had already come and gone.

    ReplyDelete