Friday, March 20, 2009

Joining the Game

Well, I have officially chosen to accept the mission of killing Fluffy. People have always told me that it gets much harder to lose weight after forty. Apparently my body has been listening! Since I will turn forty in a couple of weeks and I haven't done anything about Fluffy , my body decided to stage an all out revolt to get my attention: chest pains, hiatal hernia, knee pain, etc. (absolute craziness!! but it is working out ok). Well you don't have to beat me over the head (well at least not more than 40 or 50 times...lol) to get my attention.

It's been 2 full days since I've started. I've actually managed to eat some fruits and/or vegetables each day without having my body go into shock. Also, I've dramatically cut back my eating to a much more reasonable level! Since I'm under a major time crunch right now, I'm starting with tiny baby steps in regards to exercise. My plan is to do some sort of physical activity (even if it's just 5 minutes on the elliptical) at least twice each weekend. Once I'm done with school in mid April, I will pick up the exercise. After graduation (yes it's almost here), the exercise will likely drop back down due to my bar prep classes. Then after the bar (end of July) I will get back in the exercise groove.

I put together a rough outline of my goal weights along the path: 3/31 - 280, 5/31 - 250, 8/31 - 235, 11/30 - 205 and 2/28 - 175. This is a little aggressive, especially at first. However, since I'm only 5' 5" and about 290, the first 20-50 lbs should go fairly easily. I cut myself some slack during bar review. I don't really know what my final goal weight is. I should be somewhere in the 140-150 range for my height. But right now I just want to get under 200 and able to shop in places besides Big Girlz R Us. Hopefully by this time next year, Fluffy will be dead!!!

Sorry to throw all this at you, but I'm hoping by writing this and putting it out into the universe I will feel more accountable and dedicated. Thanks for your support!!

7 comments:

  1. I have read over and over that successful people reach their goal by writing it down, identifying the necessary steps and making themselves accountable to someone else.

    It sounds like you are well on the path since you've done all of that already. Good luck and I'll join you in attempting to down more carrots (I hate carrots, but I know they're good filler.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan to me. Do you have equipment at home, school or will you go to a gym.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys!

    CG - Good luck with the carrots. I actually really like carrots especially with ranch dressing...lol I'll have to work on that ;)

    Natural - I have an elliptical at home that's basically been taking up space for the last 2 years and that CG's been coveting...lol So I'll start with that. I have a gym at work that's free, so I may try to get there when my schedule opens up. I can't join a gym because I will not spend money in this quest. Most of the staggering amount of debt I've accumulated in the last 10 years has been on gym memberships, karate classes, etc that I never ended up going to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i forgot to mention that i'm not far from you - or rutgers. maybe 25 minutes. i used to work in that building (NJ Transit) behind penn station (newark). i'm just up springfield avenue in maplewood. can you see me waving at you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl! I'm well into my forty's and have way more Fluffy than I need. I can completely sympathize with the job ahead of you. Whatever you do - don't concentrate on the portion of "Diet" that centers on "D.I.E." Blessings - LJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome LJ and thanks for the support.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, a kindred spirit... I'm 5'8" and 245 lbs. But I have the added joy of being well over 50 so my metabolism is fighting me every inch of the way! As I nudge up closer to 60, I fear I shall never be under 200 lbs. again. (In college I weighed 116 lbs... less than half my current weight.) Then add in the medications, a ripped out ACL & MCL, a herniated disk, high blood pressure, blah, blah, blah. Maybe you can help inspire me! Let's kill Fluffy together!

    ReplyDelete